9/11

Today is a very sad day.

It is the Five Year Anniversary of the largest terrorist attack on US Soil in History.

How time flies.

How times goes on, although some images we will never forget.

I remember that day, like if it were yesterday.

I was at my job and the Gallery owner next door rang my doorbell.

"There has been a plane crash in New York. It seems to be a terrorist attack".

I had no TV.

And I thank God I didn't.

I would've probably gone into crisis mode.

I listened to the radio for it seemed like an eternity.
I couldn't believe what I was listening to.

It was like straight out of a movie. A really scary one.
It seemed surreal. Like the End of the World.

My Ex, who I was going out with at the time, called me and he shared the information he knew at the time. There weren't words that could describe the images I would later see on TV.

I type this and I am on the verge of crying.
I knew no one there.
But my pain, my grief and my affliction of these events were the same across the globe. I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain of those who lost their love ones.

I don't have much more to say on this matter, except for the fact that sometimes in the midst of my life, my problems and my situations, I realize that my problems are so trivial compared to this.

I can't wrap around my head the way somethings work.
I can't understand how someone can store so much hatred and express it in such a violent manner.

We are living very very difficult times. Especially here on my island. The things that we read in the paper everyday are truly heart breaking.

There are no visible solutions to end all this hate. There is sadly nothing that can be said that can assure me that my daughter will live in a world of peace, love and security.

But what I will take with me, as a way to find the positive side of this, are the images of people all around the world reaching out to help. Complete strangers driving across hundreds of miles across the land to get to NYC to lend a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on and just say 'present'.

We will never forget.
I will never forget that day. Those following days and months.
I will never forget the following year, that for 18 months I lived in complete fear that I would get a call telling me something had happened to my Ex overseas.

Somethings will replay in my mind forever.

My heart goes to all.

"The condition of the heart can alter the perspective of a person.

The condition of the hearts of a nation can alter the state of mankind—PEACE."

Walnut Ridge Middle School Library

Walnut Ridge, AR, US

Newer Post Older Post Home