A to the Men! part Uno

This long holiday weekend I had nothing planned. With my horrible cough and canceled plans of going to travel, I had nothing left but Blockbuster and Miss C.

But in the past week, a good ol' friend of mine had been inviting me to this show he was going to rap in. Mind you, not just any show.

A christian show.
As in Church thing.


Yeah. My thoughts exactly. Me in a church thing. Uhuh. Being talked to by many people about the love of Christ and wanting to convince me to attend the service on any Sunday is enough for me. But, "True" is a really good friend and we go waaaay back. This thing was also in my hometown, so if things got bad, I was a good 5 minutes away from Amityville...ahem...I mean, my house.

What do you wear to a church thing? There was gonna be a rock band and a rap show. But it's still a christian event.

Ok. Scratch out boob showing top with glitter.
Nope. This gold sequin low cut one is out too.
Torn jeans showing random parts of legs, nope.
Yankees cap and sneaks, nope.
I finally settled on some knee length type slacks with a Mickey Mouse T-Shirt (Hey, everyone loves Mickey...even Jesus!), and my new platforms.

So I'm driving to this spot by myself and I call my buddy, who is also going to be the DJ for the evening and I tell him:

"True" I'm on my way. If you leave my side for more than 10 mintues, I'm a gonner."

He chuckled and assured me that no such thing would happen.
Yeah. I've heard this reassurance before and I don't feel re-assured.
I for one, have not been in a 'church' enviroment since I took Miss C to be baptized.

Circa 2003.

Me not fond of Church. Me not fond of people banging ideas into my head and wanting me to fit in with the rest of the group. Me not fond of all churches in general. But that's a whole different post.

For now, I just had to find the place and pray I wouldn't stumble upon some Congretation full of White Girls with ankle lenghts skirts trotting along with their Bibles, like it's Sunday School, while I roll up in my Death Van, blasting Hip Hop and come out decked out in black, nose ring and sparkly eyeshadow. (Come on, I'm going to a church thing, I dressed accordingly, but I wasn't gonna sacrifice my make-up and style..cuz Jesus loves me-yes-I-know-with-my-slacks-and-new-platforms).

So I park at the end of the street, come out and walk towards the 'party'.....Yep. Lots of Church girls. Bubbly, lovey, "oh-my-god-she-doesnt-go-to-our-church-but-God-Bless-You-anyway" type girls, in jeans. I don't do perky. But, I walked in, paid my entrance, to which I receive a coupon to redeem for one of the following :

1. Water
2. Coke (the kind u drink)
3. Snacks

Yes people. No drinks. No pot. No nada. Empress would have had a ball.

I call my boy up and I immediately see him at the turntables...
As I see him, it's all joy and love and we hug like there's no tomorrow. It's been like a few years since we last saw each other and he is very special to me. We used to work together a very long time ago and he's a very gifted young man and I'm glad he's on a good path.

Ok. enough mush. He shows me to a table. He shows me his nephews, his sister and off he goes to the turntables. I am left to smile and stare at the checkered floor and hope no one tries to make me accept Jesus Christ as my Only and Exclusive Savior.

Did I leave the joint early? Did i have a nice time? Did something in me change when the night was done? Do I have pictures?

Well, you are just gonna have to wait till tomorrow....

Newer Post Older Post Home