"Man of the house"

In my household, as you might have already guessed, things run a tad differently. My dad, the one who goes out to work everyday, doesn't have a say in "Shit", except the raking of the leaves bit. He is, and I will quote him literally:

"A zero to the right, a shit, a worthless piece of crap who cannot rule in his own Goddamned house. I will burn this house one day, because all I am good for is raking leaves!!"

Bravo. You gotta give credit to the guy for at least acknowledging the truth.

My dad couldn't be the 'man' of the house, even if he wanted too. The guy can't even put in a lightbulb. He does 'girly' chores. RE-Wash dishes (after my mother has washed them), RE-clean the stove, Re-everything. His Obsessive Compulsive Disorder makes him act this way. He even has a post-coming-home-from-work-routine:

1. Take newspapers out of briefcase
2. Change into pink worn out shorts.
3. Clean all the counter tops, dresser tops, remove all 26 nail polish bottles from my mother's dresser and clean them one by one.
4. Clean TV Set.
5. Fold underwear
6. Look at list of what to wear for the next day
7. Make Tie Knot.
8. Polish his shoes, only after he has removed them from their original box and each individual shoe bag.
9. Clean Jewelry
10. Shave
11. Paint nails
12. Clean living room

In a house that is as spotless as a whistle when he gets home.
Then and only then, will he sit down to eat.

A man like that, can never be the 'man' of the house.
My mom is the one who is always handling the house issues, such as leaking ceilings, broken fixtures, etc. etc. So she has auto-proclaimed herself "Man" of the house and made it very clear, crystal-fucking-clear, my dad will never bare such title.

Here's my mom's way of acknowledging that also:

1. When my dad wants to talk and we don't let him, my mom says:

"Oh Please, can't you see we don't care!" or "There he goes again with one of his grand adventures"

2. When he wants to give an opinion on an issue.
"Shut the fuck up, your opinion doesn't count"

3. When my dad, on very rare ocassion, wants to cuddle:
"I don't know what's worse, having you in a bad mood, or having you lovey-dovey..eww, don't you have some leaves to rake??"

4. When my dad is upset because someone broke something:
"I broke it (even if she didn't), you got something to say about it!!"

My dad always takes the hint and very seldom does he talk back. He is one obedient puppy. When my mom gets on his nerves, he usually finds his way up my stairs and confesses he is just sick of it. But frankly I could care less, he is a basketcase, they all are.

My dad only cares about two things: that his socks match his tie and that he can get home in time to polish his shoes.

My mom, on the other hand, only cares about two things: Making sure she reigns as 'man' of the house and World Domination!

if the second one, ever happens, believe me, we are better off having my dad as "man", at least we'll all be color-coordinated in our Polo Shirts and Docker Slacks!

Newer Post Older Post Home